This is an exciting opportunity to join a small, passionate team building marketing-leading digital products and websites. Based in the heart of Bristol, Unfold is a product studio that helps ambitious start-ups and scale-ups accelerate their business through exceptional design and tech.
At Unfold, you’ll be an integral part of our web development team, working together to deliver real, measurable impact. Whether that’s smashing booking records for a national self-storage chain, growing a brand-new plant delivery service through lockdown or bringing private dining experiences to homes across London you’ll be building the technology that makes the magic happen.
As a studio we care deeply about what we build, how we build it and who we work with – our fantastic reputation means we’re able to choose projects based on what best aligns with the interests and expertise of the team. Something you’ll contribute and input on as we grow.
We’re a friendly bunch (I know, we would say that, but really) who understand the pressures of everyday life, and especially what that means in 2021. We take a people-first approach to business in everything we do.
You’ll be joining at an exciting time, having rebranded at the start of 2021 we have several exciting projects ready and waiting for you to get stuck into. If you have any questions about the role, drop us a line – we’re more than happy to have a chat.
In this role you will:
- Architect and build the most complex parts of our client’s digital projects, from small ongoing projects to large builds.
- Take full ownership of all our technical projects, ensuring they’re delivered successfully from scoping through to deployment and beyond.
- Be responsible for understanding user requirements and translating these into robust and demonstrable technical specifications.
- Communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders both internally and externally. Both in the context of ongoing projects and for the purpose of winning new clients.
- Mentor and train our junior/mid-level developers into confident senior developers working across a multitude of technical disciplines.
- You relish in the opportunity to do great work as part of a small team where projects have a real impact on our clients and their users.
- You’re not afraid of the unknown. You might not know how to do something yet, but that’s all part of the fun. You enjoy figuring out how to solve new challenges.
- You love the work you do, and you’re constantly seeking out new ways to improve things and solve problems using the latest technology.
- You’re good at prioritising and can calmly manage competing deadlines by taking everything one step at a time.
- You value both giving and receiving constructive and honest feedback.
- You have a willingness to drive change and adapt your role as we grow.
- You have significant knowledge of PHP (ideally Laravel).
- Previous agency experience desirable but not required.
Our current technical stack is:
- PHP (Laravel)
- WordPress & WooCommerce (bespoke framework, plugins and themes)
- JAMstack (Prismic CMS, Gatsby)
- HTML5, CSS3/SASS
We’re not expecting you to have experience in all of these technologies from the get-go. We hire attitude over experience – all we ask is for a can-do attitude and a willingness to learn. As technical lead, we expect you to be responsible for developing this stack going forward.
- Salary of £45,000-£55,000 DOE
- Some remote working post-COVID (typically 1-2 days a week)
- Flexible working
- MacBook Pro, monitor & all the goodies
- 30 days holiday per year including bank holidays
- Learning and personal development opportunities
- Pension scheme
- Regular team drinks (virtually for now)
Yes before no: our ‘Can do’ attitude keeps us moving forwards. If we can’t do it yet, we’ll soon find a way.
Deliver success, not just a service: we’re entrepreneurs, just like our clients, so we understand their need to succeed and get results.
Integrity comes naturally: if we say we’ll make something happen, happen it will. We don’t move the goalposts and we stick to our word.
Challenge everything: sometimes we’re right and sometimes we’re wrong, but we’ll always bother to ask ‘why?’. We’ll challenge our own and our client’s ideas in pursuit of perfection.
Cherry on top: there is nothing we enjoy more than the smile on your face at the end of a project. We go above and beyond to add that touch of magic that really makes the work sparkle.
- Drop us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us about why you’d like to work at Unfold, including your CV and link to a portfolio if you have one.
- If all looks good then we’ll invite you for a telephone interview. An informal chat about your experience, aspirations and capabilities.
- Next, we’ll send you a short technical task to complete in your own time. Once you’re ready, we’ll ask you to join us for an interview to talk through what you’ve done, explaining your architecture and the choices you made. We’ll also talk more in-depth about your experiences; let you meet the team and find out more about our work.
- Following this a job offer will be made.
Unfold is an equal opportunity employer, we strongly favour diversity and inclusion.