Full-time, Central Bristol, £35-45k DOE.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a small, passionate team building market-leading eCommerce platforms. Based in the heart of Bristol, Unfold is an agency helping ambitious start-ups and scale-ups accelerate their business through exceptional design and tech.
At Unfold, you’ll lead our WordPress/WooCommerce development team, working together to deliver real, measurable impact. Whether that’s smashing booking records for a national self-storage chain, growing a brand-new plant delivery service through lockdown or bringing private dining experiences to homes across London you’ll build the technology that makes the magic happen.
As a studio we care deeply about what we build, how we build it, and who we work with. Our notable reputation means we can choose projects based on what best aligns with the interests and expertise of the team – something you’ll contribute to as we grow.
We’re a friendly bunch (I know, we would say that, but really) who understand the pressures of everyday life. That’s why we take a people-first approach to everything we do.
You’ll be joining at an exciting time of growth, with several projects ready and waiting for you to get stuck into, including the chance to begin work on the second major version of our internal WordPress/WooCommerce development framework.
In this role you will:
- Take ownership of WordPress/WooCommerce projects, ensuring they’re delivered successfully, from scoping to deployment and beyond.
- Develop beautiful and functional interfaces for the web – ranging from WordPress/WooCommerce sites to styling for our booking funnels and web applications.
- Work closely with clients and our team to understand problems, needs and requirements, and translate those into elegant solutions.
- Mentor and train our junior/mid-level WordPress developers.
- Use your fantastic eye for design to translate mockups in Figma into polished websites and front-ends, with a focus on delivering a seamless user experience.
- Drop us a message at email@example.com. Tell us about why you’d like to work at Unfold, including your CV and portfolio/example sites.
- If all looks good then we’ll invite you for a Zoom interview: an informal chat with our founder about your experience, aspirations and capabilities.
- If we think you could be a great fit, we’ll invite you to a technical interview with our founder and technical lead: a chance to show off your work and capabilities as a WordPress/WooCommerce developer.
Unfold is an equal opportunity employer, we strongly favour diversity and inclusion.
No agencies, thank you!
- You have in-depth knowledge of WordPress, WooCommerce and CSS.
- You relish the opportunity to do great work as part of a small team, where projects have a real impact on our clients and their users.
- You love the work you do, and you’re constantly seeking out new ways to improve things and solve problems.
- You’re not afraid of the unknown. You might not know how to do something yet, but that’s all part of the fun. You enjoy figuring out how to solve new challenges.
- You’re good at prioritising and can calmly manage competing deadlines by taking everything one step at a time.
- You value both giving and receiving constructive and honest feedback.
- You have a willingness to drive change and adapt your role as we grow.
- Previous agency experience desirable but not required.
Strong, demonstrable experience with:
- WordPress & WooCommerce (bespoke plugins, themes and stores)
- HTML5, CSS3/SASS
- Git/source control
- DNS/domain management
Nice to haves / interest in learning:
- Timber library / Symphony / Twig
- UI design / Figma
Beyond WordPress and WooCommerce, we have a thriving portfolio of web apps which will present you with the opportunity to learn and develop new skillsets and technologies, should you wish to. Technologies we regularly use as part of the wider agency include PHP (Laravel), Vue, React, JAMstack (Prismic CMS, Gatsby), TypeScript.
- Hybrid working model: we have team members working fully remotely across the UK, but also have a thriving studio in central Bristol. There is no requirement to be office based other than when we meet as a whole team, typically 4-5 times a year
- Flexible working hours / family-friendly working culture
- MacBook Pro, monitor & all the extras (for home or office)
- 30 days holiday per year, including bank holidays
- Learning and personal development opportunities
- Workplace pension
- Regular team socials
- Showers and secure bike parking at the office
- Yes before no: our ‘can do’ attitude keeps us moving forwards. If we can’t do it yet, we’ll soon find a way.
- Deliver success, not just a service: we’re entrepreneurs, just like our clients, so we understand their need to succeed and get results.
- Integrity comes naturally: if we say we’ll make something happen, it will. We don’t move the goalposts and we stick to our word.
- Challenge everything: sometimes we’re right and sometimes we’re wrong, but we’ll always bother to ask ‘why?’. We’ll challenge our own and our client’s ideas in pursuit of perfection.
- Cherry on top: there is nothing we enjoy more than the smile on the client’s face at the end of a project. We go above and beyond to add that touch of magic that really makes the work sparkle.