Bristol Creative Industries (BCI) is the membership network that supports the region’s creative sector to learn, grow and connect.
Our voluntary board of directors sets the strategy for BCI, ensures we’re a well governed organisation and supports the executive team in the delivery of our mission. For more information about BCI, visit About Us.
About the Board Director role at Bristol Creative Industries
We’re making some changes to the governance structure of BCI and are refreshing our board of directors, so we’re now looking for three new Board Directors to join the Bristol Creative Industries team. Rather than people who represent the different sectors of the community, we’re looking for people with specific skills and experience to help us deliver our mission.
Three members of the existing board – Chris Thurling (Chair), Lis Anderson and Steve Coombe – will remain and the three new directors will join them on the revamped board.
We encourage applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities. We actively encourage BAME and disabled applicants and value the positive impact that difference has on our teams. We’re committed to equality and diversity within our workforce and all opportunities provided by BCI.
All directors will be expected to:
- Work with other board directors to define and develop BCI’s strategy
Act as an ambassador for the organisation and represent the views of members to key third party stakeholders
- Propose projects which may be taken forward by the organisation following a discussion process
- Host BCI events, roundtables and sector dinners
- Ensure good governance and the financial stability of the organisation
Additional executive duties and responsibilities may be undertaken by agreement from time to time.
The new Bristol Creative Industries board directors will be expected to take ownership of one of the following areas of activity:
- Events & Training – help shape and contribute towards event ideas and a guest speaker programme, as well as training events for our membership.
- Commercial Development & Membership Marketing – income strategy including sponsorship, advertising, grants & membership matters (including our data management system of members)
- Talent – stakeholder engagement including relationships to deliver diversity & inclusion and relationships with the education sector.
- You’re motivated at the prospect of contributing to our mission
- You can volunteer a minimum of 4 hours per month (this is an unpaid role)
- You have at least five years’ experience working in the creative industries
- You’re willing and able to take ownership one of our areas of work and drive forward in collaboration with the Chair and executive team
- You have a proven track record in the skills and competencies required for this role
- You have experience of contributing towards community projects (e.g. working for a charity, a trustee of a not-for-profit)
Why get involved
As a director of BCI you will have the opportunity to:
- Contribute to the growth and success of the creative industries in the South West
- Raise your profile in the region and build your network
- Learn from your experienced colleagues on the board
- Get free tickets for yourself to attend all BCI events and training
How to apply
Please send your CV and a short covering letter to BCI’s Chair, Chris Thurling email@example.com
Suitably qualified candidates will be offered a 30-minute initial interview with Chris over Zoom.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by Chris and Lis Anderson (current directors) plus an independent panel member.
The deadline for initial expressions of interest is 30th September, 2020.